17 July 2007

Birthday / Cumpleaños

Ok so, today's my birthday. My mom woke me up today and we started talking a bit. She told me she was proud of me and that even though she never thought I would turn out to be what I actually am and live the life I'm living, she's very happy to see what I became. And this got me thinking. I know that when she was my age she was already living in her own house, with her husband and two kids (me & my bro). Though I always made that kind of comparisons between my parents and I, I never really thought about it deeply. You know how we (our generation) always think of our "grown up years" to be just like our parents? I mean, I always thought that I'd have a family, kids, a house of my own, but today I realized that future's gone, it ain't gonna happen. Simply cuz I didn't get married and I don't have any intentions of getting married, I don't have any kids and don't want any at the moment and I don't live on my own and I don't have many possibilities of doing it (unless I rent, which I don't wanna do). For a moment I felt like a complete loser, till I realized I just know 3 people out off all my friends and aquaintances of my age who live on their own (and they rent), 2 with a kid and none married. Then I realized that it's not that we're all losers, but society's changed, life's pace's changed and the archeotype of an adult (and an adult's life) has changed. Now I see into my future and I don't see my parents. I don't know what I see, but I know for sure that whatever it is I become it'll be of my own making. That's encouraging, ain't it?

Bueno, hoy es mi cumpleaños. mi vieja me despertó para saludarme y nos kedamos hablando un rato. Me dijo ke estaba orgullosa de mi, y ke a pesar ke nunca pensó ke yo resultaría ser lo ke soy ni ke llevaría la vida ke llevo, está muy contenta de ver en lo ke me convertí. Y esto me dejó pensando. Se ke a mi edad ella estaba casada, con dos hijos (yo y mi hno) y viviendo en una casada propia. A pesar ke siempre hice ese tipo de comparaciones entre la vida de mis padres y la mía, nunca lo pensé en profundidad. Vieron ke nosotros (nuestra generacion) siempre pensó ke nuestra adultez sería muy parecida a la de nuestros padres? Me refiero a ke yo siempre crei ke tendría una familia, estaría casado y viviría en mi propia casa, pero hoy me di cuenta ke ese futuro ya no existe. Y no va a ocurrir. Simplemente porke no estoy casado y no pienso estarlo, no tengo hijos y no planeo tenerlos por ahora y no vivo en casa propia y no tengo muchas posibilidades de hacerlo ( a no ser ke alquile, cosa ke no pienso hacer por ahora tampoco). Por un momento me sentí el más loser del mundo, hasta ke me dí cuenta ke solo conozco 3 personas entre toda la gente ke conozco de mi edad ke viven solos (y están alkilando penosamente) 2 con algún hijo y ninguno casado. Entonces me di cuenta ke no es ke seamos todos unos losers, sino ke la sociedad ha cambiado, el ritmo de vida y las etapas de la vida han cambiado y el arquetipo de adulto (y la "vida de adulto") ha cambiado. Ahora veo hacia mi futuro y no veo a mis padres. No se lo que veo, Pero estoy seguro ke sea lo ke sea en lo ke me convierta será mí logro. Y eso es alentador, no?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Zek!!

Nice realization you have there. After all, life is simply about being happy - even if it means living with your parents (with lovely homecoked meals) and not having children (and more money for yourselves)!

:D

Unknown said...

uaaa con felicitacion anglosanjona y todo.
feliz cumpleaños demoradisimo che. no sabia que creias en estas cosas.
nota: lo de "anglosanjón" fue a proposito ^_^

RoC!o said...

FELICIDADES

BUENA VIDA!

RO =)

Contributors